From the Chartulary of Fountains Abbey (Lancaster, 1915):
GRANT by William son of Fulk de Trescfeld to the monks of all his land from the head of their culture called Carlecroft upon the bank (ripam) of Wherf in a direct line to the lane which comes from Thorescroft, and thence in a direct line to the road of Scipetona, and so down by the same road to the bound of the land which was Walter Brun’s, and so by the same bound in a direct line as far as the high moor, through the middle rocks (per medias rupes) as the bounds are carried which were fixed there between the grantor and them (ipsos) by warrant of either side, for sufficient egress for them and their cattle. All these things he has given and confirmed in pure and perpetual alms, free and quit of him and his heirs, and they will warrant to the monks and acquit of all things for twelve pence yearly. Such twelve pence being given to him and his heirs yearly as well for Carlecroft as for this aforesaid land. Test., Thomas, Dean of York, Robert Blund, Guy (Wydo) de Baillia, Alexander de London, Robert the clerk, Thomas Blund.
1495 ‘Cisota Leylond, widow, holds … Chapelhouse, 1 pasture called Kylnesey Wood, and 1 close called Carlecroft’ (Michelmore, 1974)
The name ‘Carlecroft’ was in use as early as the 12th Century, and can be seen from field names to relate at least to the lower part of the research area. The name refers to the ‘croft’ or farm of a ‘carle’, a Scandinavian form of the Anglo-Saxon ‘ceorl’.